This post is about dark matter and is the latest in my series on cosmology, the study of the origin and evolution of the Universe as a whole. As readers of my previous posts will recall, dark matter makes up about 27% per cent of the mass of the Universe. Evidence for dark matter Our solar system contains the… Continue reading Dark Matter
This post continues the subject of dark energy, which, as discussed in my previous post is a mysterious form of energy which makes up about 68 per cent of the mass of the Universe and is the reason why the Universe is expanding at an ever-faster speed. This post will discuss how the percentage of dark energy changes over time… Continue reading Dark Energy Over Time
Every object humans have ever studied, such as stars, planets (including the Earth), asteroids, gas clouds and living creatures such as ourselves, is composed of ordinary matter, which is made up of atoms. Interestingly, however, ordinary matter only composes 5% of the mass of the Universe. The remaining 95% is made up of dark matter and dark… Continue reading An overview of dark energy.
Happy new year to all my readers and followers. I hope you have all enjoyed the festive break and that you have some great plans for 2015. I have taken a short break from blogging, although during the break I managed to purchase the domain thesciencegeek.org, which will hopefully make my blog easier to find. I… Continue reading Happy new year 2015 from thesciencegeek.org